Skip to main content

Build Status Notification Lamp - TFS2010


Web Mail Notifier Sillyness


We have a dedicated build wall which is pretty efficient in displaying the build information. It really is!

BUT, ever since I moved my desk away from the big screen TV's that display the build notifications, it makes it difficult to tell what's the status of the builds at our morning stand-up.

This was until a couple of days ago a friend got me hooked on to the "USB Web Mail Notifier" available here. (Although, I bought mine off some random dude on EBay (from the UK).

All I really needed was to know if our Nightly Builds that run our Unit and Integrations Tests failed.

Now I know that there are heaps of other ways to get this information but the one I went with appealed to my inner nerd :)

By using a simple powershell script I am able to query our Team Foundation Server (TFS-2010) to see if the latest Nightly Build has been successful.

The powershell script and the binaries required to use the USB light are available here at http://tiny.cc/BuildNotification.

You need to customise the powershell script by entering your details in the  "Set user variables" section of the script:



This is what it looks like.

When developers have been naughty (and not run integration tests locally before checking in) ...



But after you fix it, all is good ..



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internet Information Services(IIS) reveals its real or internal IP Address

In the ever changing world of global data communications, inexpensive Internet connections, and fast-paced software development, security is becoming more and more of an issue. Security is now a basic requirement because global computing is inherently insecure.

Keeping that in mind, we recently ran our flagship product through a security audit. It was such a helpful exercise in tying-off any remaining lose ends in our application in terms of application security. 
Based on the security audit report, there was a relatively minor issue that appeared when accessing the /images directory of our application. Turns out that the Location response header of the 301 request returns an Internal IP address. The issue is detailed below.

Issue reportedInternet Information Services (IIS) may reveal its real or internal IP address in the Location header via a request to the /images directory. The value returned whilst pen testing is https://10.0.0.10/images.

The riskInformation regarding internal IP add…

C# Console app that displays twitter feed using Linq To Twitter (using Single User Authorization)

I recently had to add a twitter feed to my existing ASP.NET MVC 4 application. All I had to do was pull the last 10 tweets for a given user. It took me a while (shamefully, 3 hours) to get it working so I thought of writing a simple tutorial that explains how to pull a twitter feed for a console app using LINQ to Twitter.

LINQ to Twitter is an open source 3rd party LINQ Provider for the Twitter micro-blogging service. It uses standard LINQ syntax for queries and includes method calls for changes via the Twitter API
What took me long to figure out was the way twitter has implemented authentication using OAuth. Before you do anything, make sure you read the Learning to use OAuth document.
In my example, I used Single User Authorization. Single User Authorization is designed for scenarios where you'll only ever have one account accessing Twitter. i.e. if your Web site does periodic Twitter updates, regardless of user or you have a server that monitors general information. 
Before we be…

Unit Testing HttpContext.Current.Session in MVC3 .NET

We recently changed some functionality where during the "CREATE" process, we go through a wizard to save application data. This data is saved only to the session in the final step when the user clicks the final submit.

This was easy enough to implement but when I started writing unit tests for my static methods that Add, Update, Delete or Modify the contents of our application data in the session, I got the following error:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Turns out I had forgotten to setup the HttpContext.
The following "TestInitialise" method fixed my problem :)

[TestInitialize]
public void TestSetup()
{
// We need to setup the Current HTTP Context as follows:

// Step 1: Setup the HTTP Request
var httpRequest = new HttpRequest("", "http://localhost/", "");

// Step 2: Setup the HTTP Response
var httpResponce = new HttpResponse(new StringWriter());

// Step 3: Se…